Saturday, April 4, 2009

Are You Ready for Stargate Universe?



I'll admit, I was pretty ticked at SciFi Channel when I found out they were cancelling Stargate SG-1. Ditto the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis. (BTW, I still haven't seen season five of Atlantis due to our budget-required cable downgrade. Waiting for the DVD... don't tell me what happened!) But it looks like SciFi isn't completely done with the Stargate franchise.

Stargate Universe (or SG-U) will debut as a two hour movie in Fall 2009. The series will follow. Here's the blurb straight from the SciFi Channel site:


A band of soldiers, scientists and civilians are forced through a stargate when their hidden base comes under attack. The desperate survivors emerge aboard an ancient ship, The Destiny, which is locked on an unknown course and unable to return to Earth. Faced with meeting the most basic needs of food, water and air, the group must unlock the secrets of the ship's stargate to survive. The danger, adventure and hope they find on board Destiny will reveal the heroes and villains among them.

Of course, my first thought was: doesn't a ship have to be in orbit around a planet in order to use the gate? If it's already locked on an unknown course, then it's moving through space, which should mess up the ability to lock when dialing. Obviously, I thought about this way too much!

Upon looking at the cast list, I found only three actors I know: Robert Carlyle, Lou Diamond Philips, and Ming-Na. After looking at the previews, I think the powers that be are taking a page from JJ Abrams playbook by casting mostly young, attractive people. Brad Wright and Robert Cooper are executive producers and writers, so we should still get some of that Stargate flavor we love so much. But I'm thinking the actor choice should tell us something... Buffy in space? Who knows? I do know that I'm going to have to wait until the DVD comes out to watch. Darn!

To see both previews of Stargate Universe, go to SciFi's SG-U page and click on the Video tab. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Bonnie Doran said...

Hi Jennifer,

I also mourn the death of a good sci-fi series. I followed Star Gate in its early days. One of my friends watched all 200+ episodes recently. That's a lot of popcorn!

Jennifer AlLee said...

You're not kidding, Bonnie! We've got all the DVDs, so last summer my son and I watched the whole thing from beginning to end. Then we watched Seasons 1-4 of Atlantis (the wait for Season 5 is killing me). We had so much fun :+}